Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, April 3, 2015

Breaking Beauty News: Coty Acquires Bourjois

It's official. Coty, owners of OPI, Rimmel, Sally Hansen, NYC, Philosophy and other brands that we know and love, has acquired Bourjois from Chanel.

From WWD.com:
Chanel is now Coty Inc.’s latest investor. On Tuesday, Coty said it has completed the acquisition of the Bourjois color cosmetics brand from Chanel for approximately 15.43 million shares of Coty’s Class A Common Stock. The all-share deal is valued at roughly $365 million based on Coty’s current stock price, and gives the French luxury powerhouse about a 4 percent stake in Coty. It also connects two billionaire families — the Wertheimers of Chanel and the Reimanns of Germany. Bourjois is positioned as a masstige makeup brand that is sold in approximately 23,000 doors across 50 countries, with strongholds in Western Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The brand was founded in 1863, by French actor Joseph-Albert Ponsin, who developed a line of color cosmetics for his fellow actors.

What does this possibly mean for Bourjois fans? Well hopefully we'll begin to see wider distribution of Bourjois cosmetics here in the US. Back in the day, Bourjois used to be sold at Ulta (anyone remember their in-store displays? They were beautiful!), but we've seen a steady decline in availability here in the US over the years, and now you can basically only get Bourjois at places like ASOS (Urban Outfitters seems to be thinning out their inventory and at Drugstore.com you have to buy two-packs; same goes for Walgreens).

Thoughts about this acquisition?
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I hope we get them!!! I purchased a ton of Bourjois when they were at Ulta....definitely an underrated brand...great products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope they bring Bourjois back I would raid the Ulta counters back in the day! Thanks G for the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read about this is their weekly newsletter. :) I think this deal has been in the works since last October, so I just assumed that Chanel had declined the offer. Can't wait to see Bourjois in stores again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope this means we can get them in stores! I love the few pieces I own from the brand and have so many other products on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it will appear in stores and they won't change much from the stuff they sell in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can easily get hold of Bourjois products on the 3 UK websites of feelunique, lookfantastic and HQHair. They all ship internationally and always have sales :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This isn't related to Coty news but the Revlon case got settled. No further details beyond that. Then Gucci Westman is leaving. I'm kinda bummed that she's leaving. I never payed attention to Revlon before she came on board but ever she joined Revlon, I found myself buying more and more of their products. She is partly what got me into makeup in the first place. I think she may be going to Nars, I think she did many shows using their products but I could be wrong. Anyway I swear something is going on within the company.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig