Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 29, 2011

Review: Aveeno Smart Essentials Daily Detoxifying Scrub

If you're a longtime reader of this blog, then you know I love my facial scrubs. I've got very oily skin, so I always benefit from a nice exfoliation once or twice a week to help deep-clean and keep my skin smooth. Without a doubt, my love of facial scrubs is why I've reviewed so many on this blog, so let's see if this one rivals my holy grail drugstore scrub!

 Aveeno Smart Essentials Daily Detoxifying Scrub
(retail: around $7, 5.0 oz)


I actually picked up this Aveeno scrub a few months ago when my local Vons grocery store was having a sale (tip: the grocery store is a great place for beauty bargains if the stores in your area double coupons!). I think I ended up paying a dollar and some change for this product when all was said and done.


This product is proof that you can never tell if you're going to love or hate a product after just a few uses. The first two or three times I used this scrub, I thought, "Meh. Nothing special." I found the exfoliating granules to be of average size (not too small, yet not too big, rough or jagged). The base was sort of a creamy-gel consistency (again, nothing notable), and the fragrance was decent (sort of a warm floral scent that reminds me faintly of Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers but not as strong).



After seeing this in my shower caddy day after day, and not being terribly impressed by it, I decided to give it a break and then "rediscover" it after a few weeks to see if I might have a different perspective. Well guess what? I started using it again, found a slightly different purpose for it, and now I freaking LOVE this stuff. Allow me to explain!

You know how sometimes a facial scrub serves as just a facial scrub? In other words, many facial scrubs are nice exfoliators, but they don't really cleanse the skin. Some scrubs I own, I must use after I cleanse my face with regular cleanser, because the base of the scrub isn't really designed to cleanse; it's simply a carrier for the exfoliating material (beads, crystals, granules, shells, seeds, etc.).  Well the thing I LOVE about this Aveeno scrub is that the base DOES cleanse, and even seems to produce a slight lather (it's very slight, but I do notice it).

So after a long hot summer day of wearing long-wear makeup, when I need a serious deep-cleaning, I find myself reaching for this product as more of a serious cleanser that just so happens to have exfoliating crystals in it, rather than a true facial scrub. It's one of those all-in-one products that I can use to really cleanse my face when a regular cleanser just won't cut the mustard.


It's very hard to see in the above pics because the color of the exfoliating crystals is the same color as the base, but the crystals are a decent size (as stated earlier). Not too chunky, not too fine. The density of the crystals isn't as good as my St. Ives Green Tea Scrub, and the base isn't as thick either. BUT, using this product as a cleanser (that just so happens to exfoliate), I find the texture to be perfect.

In hot weather, I find myself constantly reaching for this product to rid my face of all of the day's makeup, oil and grime. I find that it leaves my skin extremely soft and just downright clean. As long as I've used an eye makeup remover to remove my eye makeup beforehand, I find that I don't have to use a regular cleanser prior to using this product, and I don't have to use a separate scrub immediately following this product (unless I'm overdue for a serious exfoliation). 

FINAL VERDICT: Does this product beat out my holy grail facial scrub? No. But is it awesome as a cleanser that just so happens to contain exfoliating particles? YES. I am constantly reaching for this product as a cleanser that gives my skin an added exfoliation when I've got lots of oil/grime/makeup to remove from face. For my oily skin, it's gentle enough to use every day, and my face does not feel dry or tight after use. I never thought I'd end up finding a new favorite cleanser when I purchased this product, but that's exactly what I got with this one. If you're looking for a "time to break out the big guns" type of cleanser when you've got lots of oil/grime/makeup to remove, I think you might enjoy this one.

Have you tried any products from the Aveeno Smart Essentials line? Any favorites? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Great review (as always)! I'm on and off with Aveeno products. When they first came out, one of their cleansers caused a bad breakout for me. Since then I've labeled myself as an Aveeno-skeptic. But everyone once and awhile I'll give them another try. I always rely on St. Ives for my inexpensive scrubs. They're the best! I use Naturally Clear at least twice a week. I love it. Holy Grail, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love aveeno.....thanks for the review...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try this line, definitely motivated now... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got this product wanted to see reviews before I used it... I shall try it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig