Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review: Milani Liquif'Eye Automatic Propel Eyeliners

I feel like I'm constantly repeating myself here, but in case you aren't aware, automatic liners are my very favorite type of eyeliner. I love the long-wear formulas found in most auto liners, and the convience of using an automatic eyeliner can't be beat. You never have to sharpen them and you don't need an additional brush for application. That's MY type of beauty product!

So when everyone's favorite Milani Liquif'Eye liners introduced an automatic version a while back, I was pretty much jumping for joy. Milani sent them to me to try out, and I'd love to give you a better look at them and share my thoughts with you:

Milani Liquif'Eye Liquid-Like Automatic Propel Pencil Eyeliners
(retail: $7.99, 0.1 oz)






The shades in this range are as follows:
Green, Blue and Purple



I like how even the lids have a bit of sparkle to them.


So let's take a look at some swatches:


As indicated on the package, these are more on the metallic side of the spectrum. Green is the only one that doesn't have sparkle to it. It's more of a  shimmer than the other two.

Another thing about Green: I was SO happy to see that it's a kelly green that veers into olive green territory. I think green liners that veer toward olive are just much easier to wear in general, so I was quite happy about this.

Now let's talk about Blue and Purple:


Looking at the picture above, it seems like Blue is a bright, electric royal blue with blue sparkle. It is a bright electric blue for sure, but what you CAN'T see in the above pic is that it actually contains pink sparkle:


I circled the pink sparkle above--can you see it? It's much more pronounced in real life--here's another shot:


It's so pretty! Also, take a look at Purple above. It's actually a charcoal-black matte with purple sparkle. On the eye, it looks more purple because the sparkle is so dense, but looking at it closely you can see that the base color is actually matte charcoal black.

Now for the smudge test. For this test, I took my index finger and ran it back and forth against the swatches with a lot of pressure for a few seconds.

BEFORE SMUDGE TEST:


AFTER SMUDGE TEST:


As you can see, the colors didn't transfer or smudge at all. The only thing that DID transfer was the sparkle. I circled the part in the Green swatch where you can see the pink sparkle that has transferred from the Blue swatch. You can also see a few bits of sparkle down below the Purple swatch. All in all, I think these liners passed the smudge test with flying colors.

APPLICATION AND WEAR: These liners apply very smoothly--I have no issues at all with tugging or pulling during application. As for wear, well I've been wearing the heck out of these for the past few weeks and they last all day and night on my upper lashline, regardless of the temperature (I wore them in 100 degree weather and they did not budge on my upper lashline). I did experience some smearing and fading on my lower lashline, but again, this was during 100 degree weather (compounded my by already-oily-skin). I'm curious to try these during colder weather to see how long they last on my lower lashline--it just hasn't been under 90 degrees in so long that I honestly haven't had a chance to test them in cooler weather.

FINAL VERDICT: If you love bright, shimmery or sparkly liners in fun shades, I think you might enjoy Milani Liquif'Eye Automatic Propel Eyeliners. Green in particular is a lovely cross between kelly green and olive green and if you like green eyeliners, this is a wearable shade. If you love bright electric blue liners, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up Blue. And if you like deep, dark, smoky purples, Purple would be a nice one for you. As for wear, these babies don't budge on my upper lashline, however I did experience some smudging and fading on my lower lashline. But I do want to note that I have not had the chance to try these liners in cooler weather--every liner I own smudges and fades on my lower lashline when the weather is this hot (90+ degrees). So I will revisit these when the weather cools so I can give you a better opinion on how these perform on my lower lashline.

Have you tried any of the Liquif'Eye Automatic Propel Eyeliners yet? How do you like them? Do you have a favorite shade of the three?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. I would have appreciated these more if they had black and brown shades available. Do you know if they're going to make these in black or brown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as CVS has Milani on sale, I'm going to get these. I've been wanting them for awhile but can't pay full price for something, it's against my personal code lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'll be watching for a sale, too. BTW @Mitchy: I'm the same way; most everything goes on sale at some point, and pretty frequently. Why would I pay more than I have to for anything? FYI KMart just had Milani on sale BOGO a couple of weeks ago. If you have one in your area it'd be worth keeping an eye on their sale papers. I'm pretty sold on the Ulta automatic liners - love both the moss (darker) and olive greens, but they don't have a purple. They have the absolute BEST metallic gold/silver liners anywhere. I use them over my HIP creme e/s paint - stocked up a stash when they were discontinued. They stay put. Period. That said, I will be trying the purple for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi G! How do you think they compare to Revlon's colorstay liners?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi G!
    I wonder if these are better than physicians formula's?
    I'm located right where it is hot and humid, and Milani liquifeye pencils, prestiges, all melts. Only the PF one holds up! oh, and bobbi brown's long wear gel liner I tested out today, but PF is better, doesn't smudge as much!

    Anyway, love to hear what you think! thanks hun

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the prestige eyeliners but even those always end up smearing. My eyelids are oily and its hot/humid where I live! How do these compare to the Palladio Herbal eyeliners as far as staying power? I was thinking about trying those out...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah! I am excited to try these. I love the regular Milani pencil because it is the blackest eyeliner I have found so far, but it is so soft that it falls apart when I try to use it. Maybe it's just the Florida heat and humidity. Hopefully these work better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! These look awesome. Thank you for the great review.

    I have one question; you mentioned they smudged a bit on your lower lashline- about how long did they wear before smudging?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors are pretty special! I just wish Miliani was easily accessible to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know if these are available now? I haven't seen them in my walgreens or CVS?

    ReplyDelete
  12. my eyeliner doesn't twist up or down, did i do something wrong? ): is there a way to salvage it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine did the same thing!Try twisting it up over and over until it comes up, that worked with mine, but it still won't twist down. I hope all of them don't have this problem! :/

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig