Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Maybelline SuperStay 24 Color in So Sienna

I can probably count the number of truly negative reviews I have posted on this blog on one hand. The reason I rarely post negative reviews is because, given the amount of products I purchase, receive and test in a given month, I MUCH prefer to spend my time sharing with you the best of the best--the products I personally love and am very excited about.

The most recent negative review that comes to mind is the one I wrote for this product, and even then, I heard from readers who said, "Hey, wait a minute, I LOVE that product". So even when I'm writing a negative review, I still try to keep in mind readers who might benefit from at least a certain attribute of the product.

But every once in a while, a product comes around that I honestly can't find a positive attribute or quality to write about, no matter how hard I try.

 Maybelline SuperStay 24 Color in So Sienna
(retail: around $8)

 So Sienna

I have read numerous positive reviews of this product, which is the reason I went against my own rule to never buy a 2-step longwear lipcolor EVER AGAIN. They've never worked for me, regardless of brand, and they're always a disappointment. But since this one claimed to be a new and improved version with new technology, I picked it up several months ago when it was on sale at CVS. Plus, many of you know I'm a HUGE fan of Maybelline SuperStay concealer (my Holy Grail under-eye concealer) so it had that going for it as well.

This product is exactly like other traditional two-step longwear lip colors, in that it's double-ended with the color on one end and the clear balm on the other end:




First let me say that the color really let me down. In the tube, it looked like it was going to be a rich, brick red type of shade, but on my skin it turned much more brown, and with a rust undertone. Not flattering on me at all.


 Looking at the pic above, you can see that it's very matte before you apply the clear balm top coat (not surprising or unexpected).

But what they don't tell you on the packaging is that you've got ONE shot to get this one right. In other words, you must apply a thin layer of color to your lips (which is stated on the packaging) but then you have to STOP. If you mess up during application and need to go back over the color (even in just a few little areas) you could run into some problems.


In the above picture, taken after applying the base color and the clear balm (which is pretty sheer and not nearly as shiny or moisturizing as I had hoped), I didn't get the color application right the first time. So I had to go back over my lips in a few spots with the wand, and that's what caused this:


The picture above was taken after one hour of wear. See the spots where it literally peeled/flaked away from my lips? Those are the same areas that I needed to touch up during my initial application.

The first time I used this product, the results were even worse. Which is why I put this product aside for many months and essentially forgot about it. But then when I was cleaning out a drawer last week, I found it and decided to give it a few more tries, just to be sure. 

Well the verdict is in, and I can honestly say that I officially despise this product. Ouch! Those are harsh words, but I just can't find a single thing I like about it.

The color itself feels heavy and suffocating on my lips, and the clear balm (which seems like the same ol' formula of clear balm that every other 2-step longwear lip color contains) is too sheer and fleeting to give my lips any type of real relief. So even with the balm, my lips feel claustrophobic again within a matter of minutes.

And to add insult to injury, if I don't get the initial application just right the first time, I know that peeling/flaking is going to occur. Talk about pressure!

On the few occasions I did manage to get the application right the first time, this color was true to its name and did not budge for a good 12-15 hours. And even after 24 hours, I could still see a faint trace of the color on my lips. But sadly, the feeling on my lips for that entire 24 hours was the exact same heavy, dry, claustophobic feeling that I've experienced with  every other product of this nature. I didn't experience any improvement of texture or feeling when compared to the old school longwear lip colors of yesteryear.

So I guess the only people I could recommend this to are people who can tolerate (or enjoy) the feel of traditional 2-step longwear lip colors, and those who can apply their lip color perfectly on the first attempt. 

If you can't say yes to either of the above statements, then this may not be for you. It sure as heck isn't for me.
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. These products always dry out my lips. I am with you on the despise wagon. Is it really too much trouble to reapply lipstick? Plus, I have found some great non-long lasting lipsticks that really really hold up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dry lips to begin with. And the old formula made them worse. I looked like I cleaned by lips with a rake after a week of using Maybelline's brand. So, it sounds like the only improvement must have been the packaging because the formula doesn't seem to have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only long-wear lip item I can tolerate is the one by Revlon in the long thin tube that is packaged with just the long-wear product (no topcoat) and only when I apply it very lightly.

    This one looks horrible! Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I've never had any of the troubles you've had with these products. The stain itself is a bit drying on my lips [I think they all are though], but I just put the balm over it and it's never bothered me after that. I've never had any problems with it coming off the lips like you showed, either. I put it on, and it lasts all day and night. These are actually some of my favorite lip products. My mom absolutely loves them too. Very weird they performed so poorly on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't like them for everyday, but for special occassions where you don't want your liptick to rub off or transfer, its perfect. you can put it on and forget about it! the key is to make sure your lips are clean and dry before applying. i used a pretty pink color for my wedding, and it looked awesome in pictures - and didn't get on hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a few of these and never had the peeling. I am not terribly fond of the top balm either but usually, after I use it once, I apply some of my various lip glosses and it doesn't really seem to make it come off any quicker, but it seems to help with the dryness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this product but there is a trick for it to last all day. You must either exfoliate and moisturize your lips the day before or a couple hours before you apply the color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the photo, and obviously not seeing your whole face, I think the color actually looks good on you. I am a long time fan of long wear lip colors, Max Factor's Lipfinity being my Holy Grail. I think the application takes practice, and I am able to get a precise application with these types of products. I agree, you do have to get the application right when you first apply. If you let the product dry and then try to do a touch up by adding more product, it won't hold up well on your lips as you've shown in your photo. It's also important to reapply the moisture coat often throughout the day. If you do that, the lipcolor won't come off until you take it off. The Sienna is my kind of color - I might have to pick that one up, lol! All that said, these types of products aren't for anyone.

    I appreciate your review and love your blog. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, reading this review reminded me how much I hated the first wave of these back in the early aughts. I read so many rave reviews (mostly in magazines, probably just trying to sell product). Everything you describe, from the tight, claustrophobic feeling of the colour coat to the way it doesn't apply evenly, and how the topcoat disappears so fast...it brings it all back.

    I wonder why Maybelline decided to revive the two-coat system when the other brands have been doing it for like 10 years and still can't improve it??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen, sista! I felt the same way about this product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too tried to give this product a chance when it came out "reformulated" and I found it to be just as much a disaster as every other two step long wear lipstick. I'd rather have colorless chapsticked lips than lips that feeled as if they've been coated in polyurethane. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was planning to pick one of these.....thx for your review G!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a few of these in lighter colors during a BOGO; Coral, Cranberry (more of a mauve) and the candy apple red shimmer which are ok. They can make my lips dry, not as bad as other longwear ones (like Revlon CS) or stains, and on a 'good lip' day they look great and do wear forever. I wore Coral to the State Fair and still had it on the next day. Those suckers take some scrubbing to get off - there's your exfoliating right there!

    I also have Cinnamon I picked up by accident (lost the receipt so I couldn't return) so I tried it to see. I thought it was darker, browner and uglier than it looked in the tube and did the SAME exact thing as Sienna - if you don't get those darker shades right the first time, fuggedaboutit. The lighter ones didn't seem that way, or perhaps aren't as noticeable. Either way, I rarely reach for these anymore. I guess I don't want to wear the same color THAT long, me and my makeup ADD :) and I don't mind re-applying that much to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes! im wearing it right now and regret wearing it to work and im wearing endless ruby. this only works for me for a couple of hours like if im going out but long er then that it drys out my lips and makes them peel horribly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just bought this today in the same shade, and I think it looks good. I also think it looks nice on you. The product doesn't feel uncomfortable on my lips. Usually, I wear sheer gloss or balm, but I'm really liking this product. Let me not speak too soon because things could go wrong in a couple hours but I'll see....

    First time application wasn't too hard. I made sure to quickly fill in my lips before it dried. It helps to remove the excess color off the wand to ensure you get a thin, even application.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this is old but I had to reply. This is the only lipstick I will wear. I have nine of them (not the shade you chose though) and every one has been flattering on me, I have at least one from every color family, which is rare because I have pale yellow toned skin and usually have problems finding colors I like. They go on slightly sheer with one coat, or you can use two (letting the first dry, adding the second, letting it dry, then adding the balm) for opaque coverage, so essentially I have two products in one. I do not find them excessively drying (I do exfoliate my lips with my toothbrush 2-3 times a week), or uncomfortable. As a long time user of long wearing lip products, I can say this is the best I have ever used. You can only use the balm it comes with, other products will remove it.. and it has to be applied to clean, dry lips with no other products on them. It seriously lasts all day, especially with two coats. It has to be removed with an oil based remover (I use evoo). I can put it on in the morning, and not touch it again (reapplying the balm once or twice in a day, or after I eat) until I am ready to take it off. I have applied a second coat late in the day if I am going out and want a more opaque coverage, and have never had one instance of it peeling or flaking. Please don't take this the wrong way but I can only assume your experience was either user error.. or a weird reaction to your personal body composition (ph maybe). I have had that problem with foundation before, it would oxidize and break down on me, but not others. This product is HG for me, to the point where I threw away every other brand I owned. I am a fan of long wearing lip products though, and cannot stand balms, gloss, or creamy lipsticks, so if that is what you are used to I can see it being a big change.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT. Ever since i discovered it, it is the only line I've used. The wear is truly amazing! i remember putting on the lipstick the morning(7am) i had went into labour with my daughter. I gave birth late afternoon and the nurse looked at me after is was all over and said "Wow that lipstick is still on!" I said "Superstay'".... it feels great after the balm goes on, it wears great...

    However she is right that you have one shot to get it right on your lips. But you get used to doing it after practice. I even get a few strokes in before it dries..The colors are hard to tell indeed when in the tube but i find them rich and lovely (well the 12 i picked).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these long wear lip products, and they are all I wear. I agree that you have to get it on right in the first place, b/c once it dries you can't blend it etc. It simply won't move. If you are learning to put it on be sure to buy the kind of makeup remover which will remove it. Only a few will and you want to be able to remove mistakes. You don't want to have to shop for makeup remover with the lipstick in the wrong place. Nothing not even nail polish remover or soap will take this off once it dries and that is why it lasts through meals etc. I suspect that you have dry lips that needed exfoliation before applying this lipstick. The patches you exhibit are a sign of flaking lips. Use one of the wax type exfoliants that goes on wet and dries to a stiff application. Then rub it off with a wash cloth. Along with the wax comes dried dead skin flakes. Then apply this lipstick. You must reapply the gloss during the day and after eating and drinking just like you would most glosses. You can buy a longer lasting gloss to put over the lip paint once it dries and you will not have to reapply it as often. I think if you exfoliate, you may just love this product as I and a couple commentators do.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig